Monday, August 01, 2005

I received a mail from Subhash Mehta who says, “I retired as an engineer from Delhi Vidyut Board in the year 2001after about 35 years of service. I am 64 years old now. I have been driving two wheelers since 1989 in Delhi. I had a Delhi driving licence, which was issued to me by Transport Authority, Rajpur Road in the year 1989. I lost my driving licence somewhere and I forgot to retain copy of the same. I tried my level best to get it traced from the Transport Authority office but all in vain. Then I decided to apply afresh for the licence. When I went to get a Learner’s licence from Ashok Vihar Transport Authority office they refused to issue me the same on medical grounds since I had a little limp in my right leg. I asked for the way I could get my driving licence but they flatly refused to guide even. Can you help me for issue of a driving licence?”

Well, I understand your situation but I am extremely helpless. Until and unless you get a medical certificate clearance you won’t be given a fresh licence. And Delhi is very strict with issuing driving licenses. I know lot of people can drive with some medical deformities but rules are rules and cannot be broken.

Few days back I mentioned in my column SM Hussain’s letter regarding the rotary at Mehrauli-Badarpur road, which has now been converted into a traffic intersection. Hussain had said that the traffic police haven’t installed the traffic signals. I received a reply from Joint Commissioner of Police (Traffic) Qamar Ahmed saying, “This rotary on Mehrauli - Badarpur Road was converted into an intersection on the initiative of Delhi Traffic Police. The process of installation of a traffic signal at this intersection is also on.” I hope the signals are installed soon so as to give some relief to traffic there.

No comments: