Wednesday, August 10, 2005

I received a mail from Harpreet Gill who has raised a very pertinent point regarding Kanwariya movement in the city. Although it is a bit late but I strongly feel something should be done to avert all kind of inconvenience to road users in Delhi next year. He writes, “Read your article on the Kanwariyas. I have a question to ask; do you really think that these political big wigs would allow the Delhi Police do anything. It is their vote bank. Votes in the name of religion! Even if the Police would want to control these political leaders will not let it happen.

“Things will be worst next year. Secondly read the figures of Delhi Police about the challaning of the motorists about the dark films. How many Political Leaders have they challaned? Any figures? I bet none and what about the official cars used by the IAS, IPS, Defence personnal etc, has anyone challened them or the traffic police has no guts to do it, they can only stop common man and prosecute them and then show figures to the press to come into the limelight to impress there superiors.

“They should start with their own vehicles. You for yourself see on the Delhi roads how many police vehicles have dark tinted glasses. Leave aside the political leaders and there chamchas. Well I guess someday things will change with efforts from people like you. I wish you all the very best on the good job done because I am sure it does affect the authorities.”

Well, I really want Delhiites to think and raise their voices about Kanwariya issue next year. The problem is they don’t even walk on the dedicated path that was made by cops on NH 8. They want to walk on the middle of the road. It was an accident that I saw on NH8 that prompted me to write about the issue of Kanwariyas in my column. Actually while on my way to Gurgaon, I saw a collision between a scooterist and a Kanwariya. An accident which could have been easily avoided had he been walking on the designated lane. Instead, he had decided to walk on the main road and not on the barricaded lane and it was dark. None could help it. Regarding the challaning of police vehicles, well, I would say “No Comment”.

Just few months back a sub inspector challaned a private vehicle of a Deputy Commissioner of Police and guess what? Poor soul got transferred! Now you can imagine the fruits of challaning biggies.

No comments: