Monday, January 24, 2005

One Mrs Gupta called me from North Delhi saying, “I just want to apprise you of a serious problem at Kalidas Road in Gulabi Bagh. Actually there is some water work premises of Delhi Jal Board adjoining Petrol Pump on Kalidas Road. From there water continuously flows on the road because of which, the road is in a bad condition. There are lot of potholes there. We have written several letters to Delhi Jal Board but to no effect. We, as motorists, face lot of problems while driving on that road. It’s an old problem and needs an immediate solution since lot of accidents happen on this stretch.”

Again this problem is synonymous with Delhi. I have stayed for three years in Kailash Hills and never in my three years of stay, have I seen a certain stretch of road at East of Kailash C block without the presence of water. In fact I had received a letter from a resident in 2003 complaining about this problem. Such was the gravity of the situation that people staying on that road couldn’t invite guests at their place because there was lot of foul smell due to leakage in the manhole.

There’s another spot on Pusa Road right in front of the Faiz Road-Pusa Road roundabout. There also I have seen water flowing on the main road because of which there are lot of potholes. Due to DMRC working on that area, thankfully they repair those potholes immediately. I think Delhi Traffic Police should identify such points and send it to the concerned civic agencies for immediate action. They had conducted one such exercise on a massive scale last year to identify roads, which were in bad condition due to waterlogging last year during rainy season. But now I think they should repeat it periodically.

No comments: