Wednesday, January 19, 2005

I received a very compassionate mail from Sahiba Bhasin who says, “It is a real pity that on the Delhi roads I feel people do not have a heart. Every time I see an ambulance run with the light on I leave the way for it. If I am not driving then I tell my chauffer to leave the way for the ambulance immediately. But I see that the very next second the vehicle gets stuck because people do not feel the need to give way to an ambulance. For me every time I see an ambulance running I feel really bad about the traffic sense of the Delhites. I feel there should be a very-very heavy fine for not giving way to the ambulance. More than any other vehicle the fire tenders and the ambulances should be given the way.

“The other day I was at Moolchand a fire tender was rushing with the headlight on. Luckily it got the light green but soon after the Lajpat Nagar flyover it got stuck. I was a little behind and I could see from Ashram till CTC plaza, Kilokari it was stuck and could not move more than snail speed.

“Every time I see fire wagons or an ambulance I just pray to god to give life to the people they are heading for and also that some road sense should come to the Delhites at least for these delicate instances. They do not think that it could be their loved ones these essential services may be running for. And if that is not the case have some humility and help them save a few lives by letting them reach in time.”

I truly agree with you Sahiba, the way Delhiites behave on roads is absolutely unbelievable. I have noticed a few times that some drivers want to take the benefit of speeding away by just sticking their vehicles behind these essential services vehicles. Generally wherever the traffic cops are present on intersections, they help making way for such vehicles that are attending distress calls. But on the main carriageway where traffic cops are absent, it is we Delhiites who should lead the way.

No comments: