Tuesday, January 18, 2005

On Tuesday evening I was at Ganga Ram Hospital. As soon as I reached near the canteen, I saw a car honking for at least 40-45 seconds creating noise pollution. I don’t know how these people get licence to drive. Even if they don’t know rules, at least for the sake of humility, they shouldn’t honk outside a hospital. And the trivial reason for which he was honking was that his folks were standing just five feet away from the car and looking on the other side. He kept on honking until and unless the Delhi Police constable asked him to stop and gave a good piece of mind. However, I think such people should be challenged for the act of nuisance they create.

When I spoke to Deputy Commissioner of Police (Traffic/VIP) H.M. Meena, he said, “Delhi Traffic Police in fact have complaint cards where one can write a complaint and submit it to us. We act on it and send notices for the violation. These complaint cards have been distributed in all pre-paid booths and around hospitals where we have booths also. I have taken notice of Ganga Ram hospital and now will get these cards distributed there.”

Meanwhile I read an interesting news item. I thought I’ll share it with you. I wish it were implemented in Delhi then all the traffic problems would have been solved.
According to the news report Filipinos who walk in the street or cross the road illegally (jaywalkers) will no longer get a slap on the wrist. Instead, they risk a smack with a wet blanket.

According to a traffic enforcement commander of Manila, “We've tried talking to pedestrians, asking them to walk on the sidewalks, but it wasn't effective.”
Under the new campaign, about 20 trucks patrol the city with wooden poles attached to damp blankets emblazoned with the warning: "No walking or standing in the streets". People who don't step back onto the kerb are in for a rude shock.

In the past, offenders who blocked the road while waiting for public transport were fined, jailed, told to do community service or made to sing the national anthem in public. Just think if Delhi Traffic Police takes even one such decision, half of the problem will be over.

No comments: