Monday, May 23, 2005

Sunday night was chaotic as the bomb blast took place at Liberty cinema hall and Satyam Cineplex. I was supposed to go to Liberty cinema hall to cover the event. When I came to know about it, I just crossed my fingers because the time was evening and the road was the New Rohtak Road. New Rohtak Road is one of the busiest roads of Central Delhi and reaching Liberty on any given day during peak hours is a pain. I was apprehensive about reaching the place quickly. I though of taking the inner lanes to Liberty but thanks to the Neighbourhood watch scheme gates couldn’t land up there. Finally I decided to take the main road, as beggars are not choosers. And lo… I reached the place within minutes. I never thought reaching such a place would be that easy for me. The traffic cops were leaving no stones unturned and traffic movement was very smooth. In fact even the DCP traffic had reached the place in no time. Well, I just want to appreciate the efforts of Traffic Police as they were the unsung hearoes too. There was no traffic jam and even the injured were taken to different hospitals without any hitch. I just wish the traffic cops regulate traffic in the same way everyday. The whole problem of jams on Rohtak Road till Kamal T-point will be history then.

Meanwhile, I received a mail from Johny Brigenza. He supports my suggestion for catching the vehicles with tinted glasses. He says, “Half-measures have never helped and this is what the Delhi Police have been doing over the past many years. You made a very practical suggestion in your column, that let the beat constables compile the data of tinted vehicles in their areas and then take suitable action. This exercise, if taken in right earnest, can be completed in one single day and Delhi Police will have the registration numbers of all the vehicles in Delhi which have tinted glass beyond the permissible limits. The beat constables can thereafter be made to doggedly pursue the owners/users to remove the films. I am sure most of them would comply and remove the films. It would be easier to proceed legally against a few who do not comply.”

I just seriously wish that Delhi Police should get after vehicles having tinted glasses not within the permissible limits.

No comments: