Monday, May 09, 2005

On Monday morning I received a call from a close friend of mine who was travelling in her car with her mother. She was in a horrified mood as a guy on his bike (DL 8S Z 3865) was stalking her. She told me that she was filing up petrol from Punjabi Bagh petrol pump when these guys on their bike saw her. As soon as she hit the ring road to go towards Chanakyapuri, these guys too started following her. They were driving in a zig-zag passion cutting her way and laughing and making faces at her.

She got really scared and started driving fast. To catch her those guys also picked up the speed and in trying to cut her way they fell down. She thought that her problems were over when they again started chasing her from behind and shouting names at her and laughing. Both mom and daughter were too scared to drive and then they decided to call me. I too was in affix as she had to take an interview and police action would be time consuming. At that time they had reached Naraina and traffic was building up. Then I remembered about a police post at Naraina on Ring Road and asked them to go there and lodge a complaint and seek the help of the cops.

Once they reached the cops they lodged a complaint. Seeing them stop at the police booth, the guys on the bike disappeared. But I was amazed what the cops had to say about it. The cops told them that since it started at Punjabi Bagh so complaint should be lodged at Punjabi Bagh Police station only. Now how can a person go back and lodge a complaint there. At times when Delhi police is thinking about modernisation, such actions only dissuade public to lodge complaints. I asked my friend to lodge a complaint but she said that she is too scared to go to police station. Had I not been writing this column, this incident too would have gone unreported.

I think that Delhi police should make a separate cell, which deals with Road Rage and other crimes on road.

No comments: