Wednesday, March 16, 2005

I received a mail from Nitin Alawadhi who writes, “I would like to address a problem at the Nehru Place terminus. If you are coming from CR Park moving towards Lotus Temple, after the Nehru Place flyover, the first turn to your left goes straight inside Nehru Place. At this left turn, there are at least five mini buses (read RTVs) standing every day blocking traffic going left. Since there is no demarcation on the road for vehicles to park, they stand everywhere till the middle of the road.

“At times you would see cops and the place is all clear but most of the time you face chaos. May I request you to put a word forward to the traffic police if a permanent solution can be worked out to keep the RTVs beyond a point of this juncture where traffic is comparatively less and free flowing.”

I think cops should be permanently deployed there as these RTVs are a menace on Delhi roads. I have seen them plying around Nehru Place and they flout all the rules with impunity.

Meanwhile, I received a call from Dr Raman Kapur, who says, “Last Thursday (March 10), I was travelling on Lala Lajpatrai Marg towards Mathura Road in my car (Chevrolet Optra Regn. No. DL 2C AB 0564). Just when I reached near Nigambodh Ghat, at around 4.30 pm, a Toyota Qualis (DL 3CV 6275) tried to overtake me from the left while there was no space left that side. And in doing so he just banged my car on the front side and damaged it badly.

“On top of it, he didn’t have the courtesy to stop the vehicle. He just waived towards me and sped away. It’s not the question of money as I can make an insurance claim but what is happening to Delhi drivers. Are they going insane? I think he should be fined at least if not for his rash driving but for his bad behaviour. And he didn’t seem to be a driver. He seemed as if he was the owner of the Qualis. Moreover, he just waived towards me and didn’t even care to stop. I don’t know where is Delhi heading to?”

This is true. At least drivers should have the courtesy to stop rather than waive at them and speed away. This is a really bad attitude on his part (Qualis driver) and he should be fined for this behaviour. Moreover overtaking a vehicle from left hand side is in itself a violation of traffic rule.

No comments: