Friday, December 15, 2006

Korean teenage swimmer wins MVP award

Dateline DOHA
Although it was a big disappoint for Jaspal Rana as he missed out on Samsung's MVP award here at the Doha Asian Games, but he is a happy man. After the announcement of the award, the shooter said, "Although there was some confusion before regarding my nomination as the MVP of the Doha Asian Games, but I feel my MVP nomination itself is a big achievement."
Earlier, there was a lot of confusion relating to the Indian shooter's nomination, as some in the shooting federation thought that he has won the award. "I was told by shooting federation officials that I have won the award. There was some communication gap between Doha and India. Anyways, I take it in good stride," he said after the South Korean teenage swimmer Park Tae-Hwan was named as the Asian Games most valuable player.
Commenting on the Korean winner, Rana said, "It takes a lot to equal the world record. But the verdict of the jury is final. I wish there were more media people from India in Doha to vote for me."
The MVP was decided after a media poll in Doha and the South Korean schoolboy polled more than 200 votes from accredited journalists here. Rana secured 96 votes and was in third position.
“But it’s a big honour for me to be here and even to be named among the five finalists here. I had never dreamed of this and not even thought about me being nominated here. Whatever I have got is a bonus for me and so I have no regrets. Although I was told that I deserved to win here, but the criteria was such that the Korean got more votes,” he added.
The 17-year-old schoolboy from South Korea won three golds here in the 1,500m freestyle, the 200m and 400m freestyle. He also collected a silver medal in the 100m freestyle and three relay bronze apart from creating two Asian Games record.

No comments: