Sunday, November 12, 2006

Kailash musings



Allah ka banda is smiling and how! Kailash Kher is back in India after winning the Best Album and the Best Singer of the Year awards at the Bollywood Music Awards held in Atlantic City recently. And from the hands of none other than singer and chief guest Michael Bolton.
"It was a very good experience for me to see the reaction of the Indian expats who flew in not just from different states of America but also from Guyana and other Caribbean islands. They are mad about our music. I was really amazed to see how much they knew about Hindi music," Kher said.
He isn’t sitting on his laurels though. He is working on his second album, due for release early next year. "My new album will be fierier than the previous one. I have put my soul into it and I can say that people will love the music. There's a song that talks about my struggle when I first came to Mumbai. I have even done an invocation to Lord Shiva. Very few people try and include a religious song in an album. To add to the variety, I have given a Rajasthani flavour to a song. I am shooting the video for the song in Rajasthan.”
Kailash also has some filmi aces up his soulful sleeve, "After O Sikander in Corporate and Chak De in Khosla Ka Ghosla watch out for my new song in Salaam E Ishq composed by Shankar-Ehsan Loy. I feel it will be a big hit."
But in the era of downloads and iPod it’s the live shows that bring in the moolah and Kher knows that pretty well. But he claims to be choosy.
"Everyday there is an offer for a show, but one has to be very selective about it. I first see the kind of crowd in front of whom I am going to perform, only
then I choose to sing there," he adds. Carry on Kher, Allah ke bande are listening.

No comments: