Monday, June 20, 2005

I received a mail from Pradeep Kant who is a Managing Director with a firm. He feels that Delhi Police guys should use their resources properly. He writes, “One has to experience the frustration of going for a meeting to Mohan co-operative. On June 7, I was delayed by about 45 minutes. It took me that long to reach from Apollo Hospital to Badarpur Power Plant.

“I am of the view that the traffic police should get very strict about enforcing discipline. Unfortunately they do not appear to treat all citizens equally. I was stopped (on June 7) for over-speeding, while overtaking a garbage truck on Ring Road - ITO flyover. I was trying to avoid the putrid wake of an open garbage truck headed towards the Garbage dump (just ahead of Pragati Maidan - towards the Yamuna).

“Voila! I was let off! Since I requested the inspector to join me and follow the truck - which deserved to be challaned. The posse of traffic policemen must have consisted of about 10 (if not more) policemen and at least two vehicles. At the same time, the Badarpur chowk had only two cops. Any student of management would consider this a mis-appropriation of resources. Hope this can be heard by the right people in Delhi Police.”

I must congratulate you that the Traffic Inspector understood your plight and let you off. These days they hardly leave you. Even I have been challaned twice for over-speeding in the past week. Secondly regarding the allocation of staff, during the surprise checks or wherever the interceptor is stationed, one needs a bit more staff to tackle Delhi drivers. If there are only two or three of them then most of them won’t even bother to stop when these cops ask them to stop. So they need more cops at these places.

Another important factor is that Delhi Traffic Police is short staffed. So at regular places there is less staff. Although the rest of the staff is summoned as the requirement is. Solving Badarpur border’s problem will take time as NHAI is planning to make an eight-lane toll road from Ashram to Badarpur border.

No comments: