Tuesday, December 14, 2004

On Monday evening I went to the Indira Gandhi International Airport to receive a friend of mine (Anmol) coming from Singapore. Since some of his friends who were in Delhi for the first time and had to take a connecting flight on their way back to Kathmandu, they were a confused lot. But the courteous staff of CISF personnel posted and even Delhi Traffic Police guided them towards visitors lounge and also showed us the way towards the pre-paid taxi booth of the Delhi Traffic Police.Everything in the airport was going on smoothly until I took the receipt (No. 0281881) for Old Rajinder Nagar from the pre-paid taxi counter. The clerk sitting there asked for Rs 120. I paid the money, and I got into the taxi towards my destination. However, when I checked the slip (Slip No. 118263), the taxi charges printed on the slip was just Rs 215. Which means the clerk had kept Rs 5 in his pocket. It’s ok when sometimes these guys don’t have a change. But this was a clear case of this person (Moti Lal Meena, according to his name stamped on the slip), charging extra money from me. There must be hundreds of people using the pre-paid taxi booths to hire a cab at the Indira Gandhi International Airport. And even if they charge Rs five from each guy, they are minting money like hell.I enquired from the taxi driver and he kept mum but just nodded that it happens. Then I went to the taxi stand near my house and checked with few of the drivers, they told me that it happens rampantly at the airport. Since I am a Delhiite so they only charged five bucks extra, but from foreigners sometimes they charge even Rs 50 extra. Often it’s said that first impression is the last one. You can very well imagine what impression does it leave on foreigners visiting Delhi for the first time!

No comments: